I JUST BEAT SKYWARD SWORD…!!
…AT 100%!!! First play through, before I went to beat the final boss. I got every single goddess cube, heart piece, and all 80 gratitude crystals. FUCK guys this game was amazing. Seriously, I need to talk about it. Throughout the game I kept thinking “Wow, this game is awesome, I might like it even better than Wind Waker/Ocarina of Time.” And you know what? It IS my favorite Zelda game of all time. It has SO many good things about it. I’m going to try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but there may be slight spoilers for those that haven’t played the game yet!
WARNING: LONG ASS POST AHEAD
- —First off, I have found my all time new favorite Zelda character ever, actually replacing Tetra. Groose. Was fucking amazing. I LOVED his character so much. Of course when the game started I was like “Who is this prick stealing my bird, ehh some minor unimportant character I’ll end up doing some side quest for.” So glad to say I was WRONG. As the game progressed I fell more and more in love with him, and I love the 180 his character does. :3 Haha when he made that joke about “The Legend of Groose” I was like FUCK YEAH this needs to be a reality! Anyway I love Groose
and I ship him and myself LOL WUT?
- —The storyline was really awesome. It was so nice having a prequel Zelda game, the one that started them all. It might have been a little bit slow at times, but not the same way Twilight Princess seemed to drag on for me. Overall very happy with the plot, and the ending got me so emotional. ;w;
- —Going along with that, the characters were GREAT! I cared much more about this Link/Zelda than I usually do, with the exception being Wind Waker. I loved the story you get behind Zelda. GHIRAHIM was the most outrageous villain I’ve ever seen in a video game, and I loved every ridiculous line he had, and every sexual innuendo they gave him, and every tongue flick he did. Groose of course was amazing, and IMPA omg I was not expecting to like her so much when the game ended. I don’t think anyone was. Fi…she was a tricky one. About 85% of the fandom (haha get it?) seemed to hate her, and I can’t blame them. I definitely liked and appreciated her, but it was hard to feel too attached to her because…she was just an AI in the end. In TP I cared more for Midna as the game went on, but my feelings remained pretty static towards Fi. I really liked the ending they gave her, though.
- —I enjoyed the dungeons for the most part, my favorite parts of all of them being the bosses, which I thought were great. Loved boss mode. With the exception of the fucking Imprisoned, omg I hated that SO MUCH. Every time it stressed me out to no end. I particularly loved the Ancient Cistern and the Pirate Ship, and the bosses on each. ALSO I liked the level of difficulty this game brought back to Zelda! And what a LONG game. I spent about 70 hours doing everything and all the side quests, which is much longer than a Zelda game usually takes.
- —FUCKING SILENT REALM SCARED THE POOP OUT OF ME. I hated each and every one of them to no end. Just…I wish I didn’t have to do them. ;_;
- —I really loved the idea of item upgrades/potion upgrades, and the crafting and bug collecting that went along with them. Alot of people didn’t, but it was a really neat idea to be able to upgrade your items if you chose and if you were able to get enough crafting material. Speaking of which, I now have a favorite Zelda weapon ever, THE BEEDLE. That thing was just loads full of usefullness throughout the whole game, and I loved using it to scout out a new area before I walked anywhere. I love how it gets upgraded 3 times too. In general I appreciated how all of the items seemed to be useful outside of their dungeons in some way, which is something I felt was not true of TP (spinning top, anyone?)
- —The music and graphics were fantastic. I absolutely loved what they did with them. I can’t get over the Ballad of the Goddess and how much I love it and how it’s Zelda’s lullaby backwards. :D I don’t think the 25th Anniversary Zelda CD is ever leaving my car haha.
- —I LOVED FLYING!! It definitely took some getting used to, but I loved running off the edge, calling your Loftwig and soaring around. :3 I named mine Komali from Prince Komali in Windwaker. :)
- —My only major complaint with this game is some aspects of the Wii Motion Plus at times. I actually really loved how the sword worked—much more enjoyable than TP for me. At times the Bow and Arrow and the Beedle would get off center for me though, which was kind of annoying. But still, it could be much worse. Oh, and the camera angle also was annoying. They should have made a free style option.
- —I’m really proud of myself for beating the game at 100% before I went to beat the final boss. Overall I’ve only done that twice in a Zelda game before-for Ocarina of Time and Link’s Awakening, but neither of those times were on my first play through. Of course I had to use the strategy guide alot, but it was well worth it. I kid you fucking not, I spent OVER 3 HOURS doing Fledge’s Pumpkin Pull trying to get 600 points. MAN that game was hard for me! Fun Fun Island and the rickety roller coaster mini games were tough, but much easier in the end.
- —Finally, the ending. It made me kind of sad, in a way. ****SPOILERS*****I was happy Link and Zelda decide to stay together of course, but it made me sad she wanted to stay on the surface away from her friends and family and Groose. ;W; I wanted to imagine them happily on Skyloft together, but ehh I guess that’s what fan fictions are for right?
WELL I think that’s it haha. If you managed to read all that than you’re amazing. I didn’t expect that to be so long, but guys I have alot of feelings about this game right now. I HIGHLY recommend playing it if you like Zelda games, or even if you don’t. This sounds pathetic, but I can’t wait to start Hero Mode right away. :3 Thank you, Shigeru Miyamoto for creating such an awesome game/franchise.